Dr. Larry Lea offers the challenge to spend one consecutive hour in prayer. Before rolling your eyes, consider that Dr. Lea doesn’t leave us on our own to do get used to this. Remember—springboards merely help us jump into the water; there are many ways to swim once we’re in! Here is Dr. Lea’s offering, using the Lord’s Prayer as an outline. I have added a few things for my own personal use, and share them here as well. And we start with the immortal words…
Our Father Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name.
- Father, thank You for the cross of Jesus Christ, and that because of this great sacrifice, I can call You Abba Father along with the great cloud of witnesses, both human and angelic, with whom I share in Your inheritance in the saints. I am an important part of Your family, Your children. (Eph 1:6)
- I hallow, sanctify, and adore Your covenant names by making my declarations of faith. Your word says that You have given Jesus “a name which is above every name: that at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow”. (Phil 2:9-11)
- “Lord, there is no one like you.
You are great,
and Your name is great and powerful.
Everyone should respect You, King of the nations;
You deserve respect.
Of all the wise people among the nations
and in all the kingdoms,
none of them is as wise as You.” (Jeremiah 10:6,7)
- May my conduct reflect these truths concerning what You have designed to be in me, and to accomplish for me and through me as You continue to reveal Yourself to me:
- My sins are forgiven and my sin nature has been dealt with because You are Jehovah-tsidkenu, the Lord my righteousness, and Jehovah-m’kaddesh, the Lord Who sanctifies me. Thank You that Jesus was wounded for my transgressions (Is. 53:5).Thank You that sin no longer has dominion over me (Rom. 6:14; 8:16,17). Since nothing is wasted in Your economy, this promise applies to my past, present, and future, as You continue to conform me into the image of Christ. For this, I set my whole self apart for You.
- My spirit and my heart are cared for and protected because You are Jehovah-shalom, the Lord Who is my peace; I have peace with You because of the work of Jesus, and I have peace in my circumstances by the power of Your Holy Spirit in me (Ps 92). You will guard and keep me in perfect peace as my mind is stayed on You, because I commit myself to You, lean on You, and hope confidently in You. (Is 26:3) You are Jehovah-shammah, the Lord Who is there with me in overflowing presence. (2 Cor. 2:14) I receive Your peace as Jesus gives it to me, and I trust You to be present with me, working throughout my circumstances according to Your wisdom, power, and goodness.
- I have soundness of mind, body, and spirit because You are Jehovah-rophe, the Lord Who heals me. Thank You that my physical body is the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 6:19). Thank You that my mind is being renewed (Romans 12:1-2). I belong to You completely and choose Your lifestyle of discipline for this day.
- I am successful in every way because You are Jehovah-jireh, the Lord Who sees my every need and provides for me. Thank You for redeeming me from the curse of the Law (Gal. 3:13) so that now Your commandments “are not impossible standards, but gracious duties and privileges willingly and effectively carried out by a redeemed people possessing the power of the Holy Spirit”. I have everything I need to accomplish Your will today, and I choose Your will—“nothing more, nothing less, nothing else, at all costs” (AMP). (2 Cor. 2:14, 1 Cor. 15:57)
- I am secure, and free from fear, because You are Jehovah-nissi, the Lord my captain, my victor, and my recognizable banner. Jesus has broken Satan’s power in my life (Heb. 2:14). You are Jehovah-rohi, the Lord my shepherd. You seek me in the places of my wandering and confusion, and bring me back to Your place of restoration, protection and stability. Where can I go from Your presence? (Ps 139) My life and my eternity are secure, because of You.
- Abba, Father.
Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven:
Please show me what is my contribution to Your kingdom today. I choose to obey You, to accept Your rule and authority in my life. I choose to become active in Jesus’ kingdom movement to defeat evil, redeem sinners, encourage the saints, and bring to mankind the blessings of God’s reign. I declare and accept Your kingdom of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit for this day (Rom. 14:17). I desire Your priorities to become established in my life, day by day and moment by moment. Help me to identify and throw off everything that entangles me, (doubt, unbelief, anxiety, criticism, lies, and fear…), and look to You for Your use of time today. (Hebrew 12:1-2)
- Concerning myself
- Jesus, I invite You to assume Your rightful place on the throne of my heart and to rule my spirit, soul and body. I thank You that You “will accomplish what concerns me; Your lovingkindness, O Lord, is everlasting.” (Ps138:8)
- Holy Spirit, please empower me with ability, efficiency and might. Work through me in each project and involvement both Your wisdom and Your power. Help me to implement Your thoughts this day. Teach me to live in the moment, and trust You for grace for the next moment. Help me to walk fully in, and only in, what You have authorized me to do. I choose to seek first the Father’s kingdom and His righteousness, and I trust that all needed things will be added to me. (Matt. 6:33)
- I ask that You would increasingly remove the line between the natural and supernatural, between the secular and sacred in my life.
- Particular concerns: 1. What is already happening, (add yours here) What will take a minor miracle, (add yours here) 3. What looks impossible, (add yours here)
- Concerning my family
- My husband
- My children/grandchildren
- Concerning my church and community
- I pray for my pastor, asking You to anoint him/her, speak to him and direct him. Please give him a shepherd’s heart, impart wisdom to him/her as he spends time in the Word and in prayer, and make him a pure channel through which the gifts and power of the Holy Spirit can flow. (add any particular things he/she is involved in)
- I pray for each leader in our church. Show them how to breathe in fellowship and breathe out evangelism. Purify and protect their hearts and motives. (get specific)
- I pray that the people of the church will be faithful to their families, to the vision You have given our church, and to Jesus. I ask You, Holy Spirit, to plant them in the house of the Lord, so they will bear the fruit of soul-winners and intercessors. I pray that we will be faithful in bringing our tithes and offerings into the storehouse, in all our resources, and that we will serve You as You deserve and desire to be served.
- I pray that You would choose and bring into our community and churches the very ones that You designate for Your purpose in this area, and rearrange the pieces according to Your wisdom. Holy Spirit, draw souls to Jesus in this area, and I release angels to minister to the heirs of salvation.
- Concerning my governmental leaders and my nation – I pray that You would give them wisdom from heaven and that Your people who are in contact with them would be faithful in prayer, kept safe by Your power, and effective in Your counsel through them; let them “shine like stars”. I ask for breakthroughs of Your presence in the governmental hierarchies, both natural and spiritual. I pray for Your mercy and wisdom, Your justice and integrity concerning—
- Local City Council, Local School administrators and board, college administrators and board, hospital board.
- County commissioners, judges
- Leaders at the state and federal levels
- President and advisers
Give us this day, our daily bread: (physically and spiritually)
- Lord, I want to be in Your will concerning:
- My prayer lifestyle with You. Please bless my tithe of time, not as a project, but as a tool and a strategy to draw close to You and to Your family. I ask for increasing dialogue with You, recognizing Your voice as You promised. (John 10:10)
- My church involvement. Draw me and fit me into the relationships You have designed for me. I pray for impartation of Your kingdom, both giving and receiving, in these relationships. Teach us how to love one another. Break down the barriers that keep us apart. Father, if one can put a thousand to flight, and two can put ten thousand to flight, then exponentially increase Your power through our relationships together!
- My work habits. Please help me to be balanced and diligent in my daily responsibilities and tasks. Help me to deal properly with the mundane and boring, and in all things to work as unto You. I thank You that You, not my job or income, are my provider, and so I choose to be content to do the possible, and let You take care of the impossible.
- My obedience in giving: Father, let me be a “sower” and recognize and be faithful with the seed You supply. Protect and deliver me from a love of money and material things, always seeking first Your kingdom in, and managing well, all the resources You provide. (Matt. 6:33) Help me to hear and promptly obey Your voice when You ask me to give something unexpected or difficult. Help me apply Your word, “If you pour out that with which you sustain your own life for the hungry and satisfy the need of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness, and your obscurity and gloom become like the noonday.” (Is. 58, AMP) in very practical and creative ways.
- I believe it is Your will to prosper me. I renounce the world’s definition of security and stability, and I ask You to insert Your heavenly security and stability firmly in place in my mind, heart, and circumstances. I trust Your word which says that You are able to make all grace abound to me so that, always having all sufficiency in everything, I have an abundance for every good deed. (2 Cor. 9:8) I trust You to rebuke the devourer concerning all my resources. I ask this day for my allotted portion necessary to fulfill Your plan for my life, conforming us to the image of Jesus, and I pray for wisdom, faithfulness, and justice to use this portion properly.
- As I specifically bring these requests to You, I am deciding to pray instead of worry :
- Help me to be tenacious and persistent, praying at all times in the Holy Spirit, to be strong and not faint in my prayers, to not grow weary in doing good knowing that as I trust You according to Your Word, I will reap Your benefit in due time. I pray for the grace of intercessory prayer in my life. Teach me to wait on You. (Matthew 7:7; Luke 18:1) Teach me to diligently seek You. (Heb. 11:6)
- Teach me Sabbath and Communion, 24/7
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors:
- Father, forgive me:________ Holy Spirit, please reveal to me anything in my life that is not pleasing to You. (Ps 139) I confess and agree with Your assessment concerning this situation, and I choose to turn away from this behavior, asking for Your strength. I thank You, Father, that You are faithful and just to forgive me, and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9) I thank You that I am the righteousness of God in Christ, and that I am complete in Him.
- Father, I choose to forgive and release these people and situations to You: ____________ I ask for and release Your blessings upon them. I ask You to give me a greater revelation of Calvary and the price Jesus paid for my forgiveness. I ask for Your mercy and justice in this situation; my reputation belongs to You, and I choose Your peace to guard my heart and mind as I trust in Jesus Christ.
- By Your power, I set my will to forgive those who sin against me this day, whether directly or indirectly. I choose to respond in each encounter today according to the promptings of the Holy Spirit in newness of life. (Romans 7:6) I choose in advance to forgive those who may offend me in any way, choosing also to bless them and do good to them. (Matt. 5:44) I pray that I will experience a greater impartation of the fruit of the Holy Spirit this day.
- I pray that You would grant grace to those who must encounter me in any way today. Prompt them to forgive me, and bless them by not allowing them to hold any resentment or bitterness against me. If there are offenses in my ledger, please allow me to erase those with heavenly humility and agape love.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
I pray for Your power for this day and for each encounter, both natural and supernatural, that I may be able to stand firm against all the strategies of the enemy. I thank You that according to Your word and the work of Jesus Christ, I am more than a conqueror. (Romans 8:37)
- Father, I put on the full armor that You have provided for me this day:
- The belt of truth – Help me to increasingly know who I am in Christ, and Who You are in me. I pray for clarity, humility, and integrity. I choose to act upon Your truth rather than on my emotions, or any doubts and fears that may try to assail me this day.
- The breastplate of righteousness – by Your grace, I will resist from entertaining all evil suggestions. I accept Your righteousness as protection for my heart, from which comes all the issues of life.
- The shoes of the preparation and readiness of the gospel of peace – help me to be a student of Christ, to “study to show myself approved” (2 Tim) and to apply what I have studied into a lifestyle in accordance with Your word. Help me stand firm, and having done all, to stand.
- The shield of faith – I put my faith in Your Word. Help me to hide Your Word in my heart (Ps119), to diligently exercise the faith You have given me, and to be a good steward of that gift. I am trusting You to protect me; because I am hidden with You, nothing can touch me today that You do not allow.
- The helmet of salvation – I ask for and receive the mind of Christ, that my mind may be continually renewed and my thinking changed according to Your design. (I Corinthians :16) I pray for the peace of God that garrisons and mounts guard over my thoughts. (Phil. 4:7) I pray that I would take captive every thought to obedience to Christ, and that I would use my imagination and creativity only to glorify my Father in heaven.
- The sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God – I pray for rhema for each situation today. Help me to fill my mind with Your logos, and be receptive when You bring this to my mind for the purpose of responding appropriately in my circumstances and encounters throughout this day. Teach me to use these special revelations as a sharp sword against the enemy and his onslaughts. I thank You that Your word does not return to You void. (Is 55)
- Praying always in the Spirit – teach me to pray more effectively and efficiently with You, Holy Spirit. Help me to be always, more and more throughout the activities in my day, in continual communication with God, living in the moment with You whether it be exciting, mundane, or anything in between. Set my temper to be that, regardless of circumstances and emotions, “yet, I will pray”.
- Lord, I choose to put on You. I pray that forces beyond my control will not lead me into trials. Empower me to watch and pray against entering into temptation through my own carelessness or disobedience. Save me from the power of evil that seeks to influence, overcome, and lead me astray. Help me to defeat the powerful, evil forces seeking to hinder or destroy God’s plan for my life.
- I receive Your hedge of protection around myself, my family, and my domain, since You are my refuge, my fortress, my God in Whom I trust. (Psalm 91:2) Cultivate in me a holy fear, so that Your angels will encamp around me and my family. (Ps. 34:7) I ask You to confer joy and prosperity on the work of my hands, and that You would make these “increase in the land”. I pray also for an increase in these things:
- I have made You my habitation: let my worship be a fit place for Your presence however You choose to manifest it. (Psalm 22:3)
- I have set my love and affection upon You. I ask for the Holy Spirit to focus my energies, motivations, and attentions on You, Lord, to set my whole desire upon You. Help me to cling to You in “absolute trust and confidence in Your power, wisdom, and goodness.” (AMP)
- I know Your name. Increasingly show me Who You are, and Who You want to be in my life. I want to know You the way that You know me. (Jeremiah 9 – “let him who glories, glory in this, that he understands and knows Me, personally and practically, directly discerning and recognizing My character, that I am the Lord.”)
For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.
- As I set my heart to worship You, God Almighty, I trust the Holy Spirit to teach me to worship You in spirit and in truth. I make the following declarations of faith:
- Thank You that You have included me and invited me to participate in Your kingdom!
I thank You for delivering me from every evil work and preserving me for Your heavenly kingdom. (2 Tim. 4:18)
- Thank You that You have included me and invited me to participate in Your power! This is the power that raised Jesus from the dead, that causes me to get wealth and favor for Your glory and kingdom, that defies the kingdom of darkness, that guides me into the fellowship of Jesus’ sufferings, being conformed to His death, and that conforms me to Your own image—I praise You, dear Father, for this Your power, authority, and might. (2 Cor. 3:18)
- Thank You for Your glory! I thank You for Your perfection of character, especially Your righteousness, justice, Your mercy and grace. Thank You that You call me to participate in Your glory through the revealed character of Christ in me.
- I now choose to worship You in spirit in that I choose a lifestyle of worship that is not bound by time or place, and that I have been “given the Spirit of adoption” which cries to You, Abba Father! (Romans 8:15) I choose to worship You in truth, because Jesus is the Truth, the fullness of God in Christ, and there is no other Truth. And I worship You in spirit and truth by learning who You have created me to be in my innermost being, and serving You from the integrity of that place.
- I return now to praise You. Help me to learn how to let my heart go out to You in praise and thanksgiving for Your perfections and mighty deeds and for all of Your benefits.
- Thank You, Almighty God, that I am chosen to participate in Your kingdom today. I praise You that You have translated me out of the kingdom of darkness and into the kingdom of Your love and light. (Colossians 1:13) The Lord shall preserve me from every evil work, and preserve me to His heavenly kingdom.
- Thank You, Almighty God, that You have invited me to participate in Your power today. I choose to measure my problems and challenges against Your mighty, miraculous works and Your great love for me. I am strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. I have been endued with power from on high. Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world. My Father gives me strength and power to get wealth. He gives power to the faint. As my day so shall my strength be. He keeps me by His power. He has given me power to tread upon serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing by any means shall harm me.
- Thank You, Almighty God, that You have chosen me to participate in Your glory by granting me Your righteousness in Christ, that Christ in me is the hope of glory, by transforming my mind to the mind of Christ. Help me to walk worthy of the gospel of Christ and to serve You as You want to be served this day and forever. AMEN.
To see Dr. Lea’s book, Could You Not Tarry One Hour, click HERE.